Superintendent Health & Safety
We are currently seeking to recruit a Superintendent Health & Safety to join our highly dynamic workforce within our Simberi Operations in Simberi Island in New Ireland Province.
Reporting to the Manager – Health Safety and Security, the position is directly responsible to plan, lead, support and manage the implementation of Health, Safety and Risk Management (including Emergency Response) within the operation and externally as required.
This is an exciting time to join Simberi & St Barbara as we embark on our “Building Brilliance” journey to transform the business and deliver sustainable value.
This is a FIFO position; the roster is a 21/14 roster. Point of Hire is restricted to Kavieng/Rabaul/Port Moresby/Lae/Mt Hagen, Buka, Madang, Goroka, Alotau, Wapenamanda, Popondetta & Hoskins or Tabar group of Islands. (Locals are encouraged to apply)
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works in accordance with PNG Mine Safety Act, St Barbara Management System and all departmental operating procedures.
- Maintain, verifies and regularly review all related documentation in line with organisation and legal requirements.
- Proficient in technical, report writing and presenting
- Sound understanding and leads in project management
- Understanding and involvement in material risk and crisis management
- Ensures that work practices, facilities, equipment, engineering designs and material specifications comply with applicable safety and health standards and current legislation through engagement and participation.
- Oversees the effectiveness and quality of incident investigations and corrective actions
- Co-ordinates and monitors the health and safety training and awareness function across site.
- Assists the Manager and leads with the development and implementation of all occupational health and safety standards and codes of practice including Improvement Projects.
- Actively promotes, lead and builds a culture to achieve an injury free workplace.
- Provides statistical data analysis and trends as required and ensures that legal company and corporate reporting requirements are met in a timely and efficient manner.
- Manages and leads a diverse work team with effective people management skills/techniques.
- Takes an active role in promoting the training, development and succession of national and local staff.
- Identifies skill, talent, and potential in team members to develop team members into senior roles, maintains and leads personal development plans for the team through a systematic process.
- Creates opportunities for people to work together to enable them to contribute to the business and learn from each other
- Lead the implementation of HSE requirements in the operational work areas
- Delivers work within approved budget managing any variances in accordance with escalation process.
- Actively seeks and leads cost reduction opportunities through initiatives internally and cross functional.
- Role models, drives and influences proactive safety behaviours within workgroups through engagement visible leadership.
- Ensures all personnel, visitors and contractors comply with site and contractual HSE requirements and accountability at all levels.
- Plans work applying effective Risk Management processes so that it can be conducted safely with the right people and other resources required for work completion.
- Develops team members through deliberate regular feedback, coaching and formal training.
- Make appropriate people decisions in line with formal process, best work practices and St Barbara values.
Qualifications, skills, and experience required:
- Behaviour consistent with St Barbara’s Values
- 10+ years relevant work experience in similar leadership roles essentially in large-scale mining/mineral processing operations.
- Proficient in English with excellent verbal, written communication, and public speaking skills.
- Proficient in knowledge and experience with application of PNG HS acts and legislation.
- Computer proficiency in MS Office suite.
- Sound planning, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work under pressure and autonomously.
- Excellent attention to detail and time management skills to meet deadlines.
- Understands and implements solid work management processes through utilisation of tools that drives and achieves performance
- Strong active listening & interpersonal skills for rapport building, conflict resolution & training
- An excellent knowledge of Safety and Risk systems and proven experience in establishing and implementing systems
- An excellent knowledge of Emergency Response and para-Medical, clinical operations
- Ability to make efficient position-related decisions.
- To be able to have impact and influence on non-positional people.
- Results oriented that can operate with site-wide prioritisation.
- A team player who can work both as a customer and a supplier.
- Can act as a change agent.
- A belief that the National workforce can be developed.
- Mining Business Improvement experience will be highly regarded;
- And Recognised coaching and mentoring skills
This is an excellent opportunity to work with a dynamic and motivated team of industry professionals with considerable experience in the demands and practices of the mining industry.
Simberi Gold Company Ltd offers a competitive remuneration package, commensurate with experience.
Short-listing for this position commences immediately and we do reserve the right to commence processing applications prior to the nominated close off date.
Closing date: Monday, 2nd October 2023 at close of business.
Please submit your applications, CVs, and supporting documents to the below link.
St Barbara is an Equal Opportunity Employer and in 2016, 2015 and 2014 was recognised as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality by the Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA). St Barbara is the only mining company in Australia to receive this citation for three consecutive years. Recognition for St Barbara's commitment and achievement in eliminating the gender pay equity gap has also been recognised nationally through industry awards.
For further information on St Barbara and to apply for this role, please visit www.stbarbara.com.au